Monday, August 19, 2013

Twitter's Rampant Grammar Criminals

I'm certainly not perfect when it comes to my grammar in social situations. I'm not a grammatical saint or anything: I sometimes place a preposition at the end of a sentence. What can I say? I'm from the Midwest! It's a fault we all carry with us.

I came across this article on USA Today about a survey that Grammarly conducted about celebrity grammar issues on Twitter. Looking through the article, I have to admit that I wasn't surprised that someone like Pauly D (of Jersey Shore fame--link contains some cursing) is one of the worst "grammar criminals" on the web. On average, the former Jersey Shore star has roughly 55 errors for every 100 words. I certainly take issue with the level of intelligence of a lot of pop culture, but I'll save that for another post.

Who was the most grammatically correct celebrity? Beyonce, according to the site.

Of course, this could certainly spawn a much larger discussion about the impact of social media (and the immediacy of technology), but I wanted to post this question:

Do celebrities in pop culture have a responsibility to be comprehensive role models, or should they purely be viewed as sources of entertainment?

Comment below. I'm curious what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment